EVENTS & ACTIVITIES FOR PUBLIC OUTREACH
The volunteer program is currently located in Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.A.
Volunteers may also help develop and implement new education programs, activities, and events, in the local community or hotel resorts. Depending on the location, this could include tabling and providing guests with sea turtle conservation presentations, activities, events, such as beach clean-ups. Furthermore, volunteers may assist in building partnerships with organizations, governments, media, and celebrities, to support conservation activities and events. Some of our past events include:
- NBA basketball celebrity: Yao Ming
- U.S. Ambassador and Senator Max Baucus
- U.S. Ambassador Jennifer Galt
- Ladies European Golf Tournament
- World Ocean Day with Hotel Resorts
- First Satellite Tagged Sea Turtle
- Whale Shark and Sea Turtle Release
- World Sea Turtle Day in Hawaii and Hainan
- Father's Day is World Sea Turtle Day for 2019
As citizen scientists, volunteers collect information and photos of wild turtles from a distance to contribute to an important research database for conservation. Since the scales on each side of a sea turtle's head is unique like fingerprints of humans, photographs are very helpful in the collection of data for sea turtle conservation management. Read this sea turtle photo-identification research paper for more details. Researchers can use this data to analyze trends and track the distribution and migration activities of sea turtle populations.